Friday, August 13, 2010

Squishy Progress

I edited 100 pages of my novel today. Wow. Only 100 more to go. It's okay, I'm 2/3rds of the way through and I think most of the changes were in that first third. It was hard to work that first portion because I had to squish. Squish all the things that had been drawn out through the book, all to the front. Give the reader all the information they need to become completely invested in my characters and worried about their challenges. It's like a boxing match - you hit 'em with a flurry of punches at the front working up to the big KAPOW! (Or "climax" as it is called in literary circles.) Am I really hitting my readers? Of course not! But I must admit, right now, I'm feeling a little beat up... And victorious! Only 1/3rd more to go!!!

No comments: