Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Move Through the Creative Gap

I debated posting that Adele video because I was in a low spot that day. I tend not to show people those down times. But this is a different kind of blog. This blog is more about reality than my main blog and I think its important for those on this same crazy journey to understand how hard it can be.
     They say you can't truly reach success or become an expert at something until you've put in 10,000 hours. Well, I'm nearing those hours, and the beastie is really testing my resolve. Am I failing at this career I've dedicated so much time to? I couldn't really figure out how to say it, exactly. But then along comes Tribal Writer and says it perfectly:
     "The important thing is you're failing forward."
     Choosing a career like this is, in many ways, choosing discomfort. Because it's that constant striving to be better that gets us there, but it's that not feeling good enough yet that drives that action. It's the fate of the creative mind unfortunately, and why so many people refuse to stay on the path. And yet, the silver lining is that all that drive will (I hope) eventually lead to something spectacular.
     Truly, I can't say it better than Tribal Writer did (sections 3 and 4 especially) in her post move through the creative gap (all the way to the power of awesome). If you'r on even a moderately similar journey as mine, I highly suggest you go READ.

2 comments:

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

Wow. The stuff about the plateau stage and neurons...fascinating and yet reassuring. We are not toiling in vain!

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Indeed!!! (Although there isn't a crowd where we're going!) :)